06 June 2008

Back in the US of A - Travel Log


The last picture taken on Swedish soil, Arlanda airport - notice no stroller...

I am always asked about the length of flights, what connections et c., I have, when speaking of my Sweden trips. Here's the low-down of the return trip home.

Was deprived of my stroller at check-in because of security precautions ( I normally gate-check it). Was promised an airport-stroller at the connection. Had to carry 1-year old Annia, my backpack, and well-filled purse, while 4 -year old Elina and 5-year old Isak pulled their roller bags through security check and to our first flight. Hard.

At first connection, Stockholm, I walked nearly a mile carrying Annia while Elina cried and was tired and sad about leaving, wanted to be picked up or at least be given some help with her bag. I asked at three different information desks about the promised airport stroller.

"We discontinued those a long time ago."

I saw that ALL THE OTHER parents got to have their strollers, and they were TWO parents and ONE child.

"It is unfair!! You are being mean to my mom!" Elina cried angrily at anyone that looked like airport personnel. She also said at one point, to someone completely innocent: "Jädra unge! Du har tagit min stackars mammas vagn!"

Was reassured when boarding the plane to Chicago that I would get a "meet and assist" at the gate upon arrival.

Endured the nine hour flight to Chicago, thanks to "Horton Hears a Who" and "The Water Horse". Was informed upon arrival that Chicago does not have "meet and assist."

Walked down umpteen ramps, hallways and escalators, stood in line at passport check point. Then retrieved my 7 (seven) suitcases with the help of hired help (paid him with Swedish money, which was a better deal for him since the dollar is so weak), finally got my stroller, went through customs, and then checked the bags again.

Took the elevated transit train to terminal 2. Went through security check TWICE because we were guided to the wrong area. Stood in the sweaty line, placed all the bags, jackets, shoes, stroller etc on the conveyor belt, twice. Kids not overly happy.

Was informed that the 2.55 p.m. flight to Oklahoma City was delayed until 4.55 p.m. (We should have originally been in OKC by 5.)

Went to the awesome playground and killed time. Discovered that Chicago O'hare has no AC. Let the kids play topless.

Then our flight was delayed until 6.27 p.m. Thunderstorms to blame. "Ma'm, the plane has not yet left Omaha, so boarding will not be until apx 6 p.m."

Took the kids to the playground again. Gave them the last sandwich I had packed, and fed Annia the last jar.

Came back to the gate at 6 p.m. Was informed our flight had left at 5.30 p.m.

"Ma'm we did announce it over the radio."

As if I could have made out a single syllable of the constant static, echoing, chattering of that inter-com over the kid voices at the playground.

Had to go to United ticket counter. Elina cried. Stood in line. Isak broke one of those seat-beltish line-separators that they also use at banks. Was re-booked and set to leave at 8.01 p.m. Had to switch concourses for the second time that day.

"No ma'm you may not take the shuttle because it is down 2 flights of stairs and you have a stroller. There is no elevator. You may walk."

"Sir, I will be taking the shuttle!"

Nice Americans helped carry the kids' roller bags and the stroller down, and later up again, the two flights of stairs and on and off the shuttle.

Flight to Oklahoma City at gate C8 was delayed until 10.00 p.m. I placed the kids to sleep on a bench. Annia slept in the stroller. I made phone calls to keep from nodding off.

Boarded the tiny plane, which must have had a ceiling height of 5' 9" (I am 5' 10 1/2"). Discovered our seats were not together. Made perfectly nice passengers move so we could be together. Anticipated fly time 1,5 hours. After 3 hours we landed in Springfield , Missouri because of storms. Waited there for 30 minutes to re-fuel and try again. A nice lady gave her banana for Isak and Elina to share. Everyone was rightfully amazed at my well-behaved kids (in fact, better-behaved than some of the adult passengers).

Arrived in OKC at 2.30 a.m. - 9, 5 hours late.

"Sir, was there a gate-checked stroller?"

"Oh, right, yes... I'm sorry, we accidentally sent it to luggage claim. You can get it there."

Had to walk down steep steps, baby in arms, two rollerbags in one hand, purse over my arm, then a ways on the platform, then up a flight of stairs to a gate-tunnel, the FARTHEST gate, then all the way through the airport to luggage claim, where Mark was waiting. Only one suitcase was missing.

Am I deterred about traveling there again, alone, with three kids? Not in a million years. I would go back next week if we could afford it (and my poor parents could endure it, and my husband spare us).

on the 9 hr flight, wearing t-shirts I bought at Arlanda airport


during the 10-hr lay-over at O'hare, no AC, very sweaty

6 comments:

The Hubler Fam! said...

Wow Victoria. All I can say is Wow! I'm sorry it was such a miserable complicated ordeal. It is so sad that the airlines and airports can't provide their customers with basic services anymore. I wish I could have been there to lend a hand, or carry a child!
I bet stepping in your own front door and putting your children in bed was a relief that night. WHEW!

Victoria and Mark said...

Thanks for the sympathy, Sarah! But I have to say I kept my cool remarkably well, keeping in mind those that walked across the plains and never saw their families again.... Still, I think this tops my unpleasant trip experiences.

Corless Family said...

so happy to have you back! I am so sorry that it is so difficult to travel. What troopers your kids are!! Especially when you probably wanted to have a breakdown youself.

Sharon said...

Okay, that tops all horrible travel stories I have ever heard or personally experienced! I know that I would have lost it at several points if it had been me. You're amazing! It was fun to read your blogs and see what fun you all had. Thanks for keeping us all updated!

Martinson Family said...

Wow! I would have to agree with Sarah. I can not believe the ordeal you had. I would have been fuming by the end of the night. Plus, your kids had to go through all the misery too. I would have asked for a free flight or something for all the 'miscommunication.' Glad you arrived safely back.

Heather said...

I AM ALMOST IN TEARS! I can NOT believe that happened to you guys! OH MY GOSH! victoria! oh my gosh! i think i would be in tears at the airport ( i know i would since i am in tears reading it!) that sounds soo awful! you are amazing!!!i can NOT believe you!!! wow wow wow!

i was thinking of travelling to montana by myself with the three kids without kirk, but, that sounded HORRID! and i said, NO WAY!!!!

i am SERIOUSLY Impressed! you are BETTER than i! for sure! i would have had a breakdown for sure! I can't believe that about the stroller stuff! give me a break!!! that is the only thing that saves me every time i travel! good night!
man! how awful!
you are truly amazing!