11 October 2014

Education Rally in Oklahoma City

One of the very first things I did when I started work last fall: joined the teacher's union, National Education Association. Oklahoma has experienced extreme budget cuts in education since 2008, in large part due to the current governor, Mary Fallin, and the State Superintendent of Education, Janet Barresi. In March a rally was held at the Oklahoma City capitol. Norman did not close school that day, but instead hired a slew of substitutes to cover for 10 percent of the teachers who attended the rally. Other school districts did shut down education for that day. It was an awesome experience. I have also gone to the OKC capital and spoken with lawmakers about education and know I had an ever so small hand in making a few lawmakers see the problem with the 3rd grade retention law that was changed over the summer.  

 In the center we have a parent from our school - the rest are Jackson teachers.

 Here I am standing next to our superintendent, Dr. Joe Siano.
I really like and respect him.



 A few middle school  students were there!
They had excused absences if they wanted to attend.





My favorite, because Janet Barresi has been compared to Dolores Umbridge, for GOOD REASON, time and time again:

 


No comments: